I’ll admit, I may possibly have a slight addiction for collecting mugs. Something about the unique, attractive designs lures me into purchasing as many as possible every time go shopping. Though I have an overwhelming amount, I must say I do put them to good use, as I am a devoted tea drinker and an enjoyer of the occasional coffee beverage.
However, upon browsing Pinterest lately, I discovered a method to re-purpose my old, plain mugs rather than purchasing brand new ones. If you’re like me, and you seek a method to recycle the mugs you already own, or if you want to try out a really simple DIY craft, give this gold-striped mug a try.
What you’ll need:
-A pair of scissors
-Gold spray paint
-A plain mug
To make the mug:
- First, begin by cutting and laying the masking tape onto your mug into a design that suits your fancy. For me, I decided to go with a thin, gold and white striped design, so I laid out my tape accordingly. Place the tape where you do not want the mug to be painted, and leave the areas you do want to be painted exposed. Make sure that the tape is firmly pressed down onto the mug so that the paint does not seep into unwanted areas.
- Lay out a black trash bag on the floor in an open area, preferably outside. Set the taped mug upright and spray the mug with gold spray paint from about a foot away.
- Be sure to coat the mug with the spray paint evenly and in a neat fashion.
- Allow the paint to dry for about 5 minutes before proceeding to gently peel off the tape from the mug to reveal your new design.
- This mug cannot be washed in the dishwasher, but once the mug is completely dried, it can be hand-washed gently after use.
This DIY turned out to be a simple and easy method into transforming my mugs into newer and more original versions that were unique to my taste. I can most definitely see myself recreating this craft with several more of my mugs with a couple other designs. Nearly anyone could try out this DIY, and I suppose the only difficult task may be finding some spray paint to use. I was lucky enough to find some lying around, but if you don’t have access to spray paint quite so easily, check out my previous blog where I created a mustache mug using sharpie designs.
Regardless of your method, the idea of making something new using items just laying around is a must try, especially in the case of these gold accented mugs.
By Manal Salim