Freshman Dudley shines under pressure; tennis takes state title

Photo by Mikaela Acton.

Senior Phoebe Boeschen returns a hit, in action against Hickman. Playing in the number one spot for the Bruins Boeschen helped lead RBHS to a state title. Photo by Mikaela Acton.
Senior Phoebe Boeschen returns a hit, in action against Hickman. Playing in the number one spot for the Bruins Boeschen helped lead RBHS to a state title. Photo by Mikaela Acton
The book of RBHS tennis history is a long and substantial one. This season yet another successful chapter can be added to the records as the Bruins (26-0) captured the MSHSAA Class Two state title defeating St. Joseph’s Academy (18-4) 5-0 at the Cooper Tennis Complex in Springfield Mo.
The Bruins entered the state final four after defeating Marquette (16-4) 5-0 in sectional play. In the semifinal the Bruins matched up against Notre Dame de Sion, a team they had previously beat 6-3 at home this year.
Despite holding a win over Notre Dame de Sion the Bruins were still weary of overlooking their opponent.
“Anything can happen at state, and these teams are all at state for a reason, they’re the best teams in the state,” senior number one player Phoebe Boeschen said. “You never know what’s going to happen on a given day, we just have to be prepared for whatever is thrown at us.”
Boeschen’s words couldn’t of been any truer as the semifinal would turn out to be a barnburner. In doubles play, the doubles teams of juniors Tess Lovig and Ronni Faird and junior Hannah Pohl and freshman Katherine Dudley won 8-4 and 8-3 respectively. At number one doubles, Boeschen and freshman Faith Wright fell to de Sion’s Michaela Henne and Margo Gerke.
Entering singles play the Bruins held a slim 2-1 advantage over de Sion. Last year in the state semifinal the Bruins had played a grueling match against St. Joseph’s Academy that they eventually prevailed in 5-4. With the Bruins dropping matches at the number one, two and three spot but getting big wins from Pohl and Farid at the fourth and sixth spots this semifinal was shaping up a lot like the last with the score knotted at four apiece. With all the matches running simultaneously Dudley was the last Bruin playing with the outcome of the match resting on her shoulders.
“Everybody gets done, and you have that one match that you have to watch,” Boeschen said. “It either goes your way or it doesn’t and today Katherine did an amazing job of keeping her focus and finishing with the win.”
Despite battling nerves Dudley found a way to win in dramatic fashion, 6-3, 7-6 (2), clinching a Bruin win and a repeat visit to the state finals.
“I always get nervous before matches, and the nerves really kicked in right before the match started,” Dudley said. “But after everyone else had finished and I was the only one still playing with the score at 4-4, I was more nervous for the team than me. I knew though that everyone was there cheering me on and that helped with the nerves and helped me finish the match.”
After her victory Dudley also won high praise from her senior captain.
“I have nothing to but great words to say about that girl,” Boeschen said. “She’s confident, mature and gets her job done. She didn’t let the pressure bother her today; she played her heart out and was able to fight the nerves to clinch the match.”
In the finals the Bruins squared off against St. Joseph’s who had beaten Jefferson City (20-7) 5-3 in the other semifinal. Unlike last year when both teams played an intense match, this year it was all Bruins with RBHS sweeping the doubles competition and then Boeschen and Pohl easily winning in singles to seal the deal on the state title.
“We were able to finish what we started on Aug. 4, the first day of season,” Lovig said. “The past two years, we battled our way all the way to the finals, and just couldn’t do it. I can’t help but smile when I think of how my team put our all into the matches and got the result we wanted.”
The Bruins will raise another state banner in the RBHS gym but are not done in Springfield as Boeschen competes tomorrow in individual singles play and the freshman duo of Dudley and Wright as well as the team of Lovig and Pohl compete in the doubles bracket.
With another title and another chapter in the books, the Bruins look to next season to continue their success.
“I’m hoping to win state every year,” Dudley said. “That is the highest goal for any high school team so it is definitely a goal this team has. I really want to end every season strong and positive, whether that’s winning state or not. I am very excited to be apart of the team and have the opportunity to work on and play a game that we all love.”
By Graham Ratermann